Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kidney Function Update

Well, my scans are a year apart now. But my kidney function tests are still on six month intervals. So, my kidney got center stage for the first time. These tests are more routine than those G** D*** scans. The numbers should not change radically.

Anyway, since the surgery I have been testing at Stage III kidney disease. Low even considering the loss of one kidney. This does not mean I am in any immediate danger. And, it is having absolutely no effect on my life right now. But , it does mean I have to watch things that would damage my kidney further. The big problem for me is blood pressure. And, there is a long term threat of kidney failure.

Since my last set of tests I have made an active effort to get myself in tip top shape. I am down to 170 lbs for the first time since high school. I have also changed my weight routine to emphasize more repetitions in order to lose muscle mass. Anyway, I am happy to report that the function numbers did show some improvement. It might even be enough to move me from Stage III to Stage II disease. Note my kidney did not get better. But, there is less of me for the kidney to clean up after. So, the balance is better.

There is a funny story about this. At my last oncologist check-up my doctor did not like my blood pressure. He read me the riot act about how I was risking dialysis and was not doing myself any favors. So, I went to my primary care doctor and upped my BP meds. I then starting passing out everywhere. When I checked my BP, it was 105/55. I dropped back to my original med settings.

What happened? Well, they check my BP at the onc's office right before they give me the test results that check for the cancer's return. So, it they basically say, 'We are going to let you know if our tests indicate you are going to die. But first, let's check your blood pressure." I think the only thing that number proves is the highest possible value the BP could be. Now I am checking it everyday and will bring those number with me to my next appointment in June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home