Thursday, September 06, 2007

Let’s Get Physical


There is one thing I do know about. And, if you do get nothing else out of this blog, please remember this: get a physical with all the appropriate screenings that are recommended for your age. The reason I am bringing this up is because of John Edwards. He is proposing that mandatory health screenings be a requirement for people to get into to his universal health plan. Why? Because having patients getting regular checkups results in lower costs. Diseases will discovered earlier when they can either be cured or managed. Note, less costly for the provider also means a better quality of life, maybe even simple survival, for the patient. Many diseases, such as cancer, only become obvious once they are in the final stages. Catching them early means lower cost to the system. It can also mean life or death to the patient.

Note, the screenings do not catch everything. I had a full physical in October of 2004. I passed with flying colors. At that time I had a huge tumor in my kidney. Am I mad that the physical missed it? No, you cannot control everything. But, I am glad I had the physical. During the worst of 2005, I was at least able to say that this did not happen because I was afraid to go to the doctor. I did all I could to protect myself and my family.

I am not in favor of Edwards health plan in general. What is the government going to do? Arrest you and send you to the doctor in handcuffs? But, you should not wait for a government mandate to get the appropriate tests. Time for a physical? Do it!! Time for a mammogram? Do it!! Time for a colonoscopy? Do it!!! (Maybe you should treat yourself after that one.) If they find something, it is more likely that it will be in the early stages and be very curable and manageable! Do it for yourself. And, if you have a family, do it for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home