Thursday, March 09, 2006

Information I Did Not Need to Know

This information came from the American Urological Association meeting in January:

* Histologic and pathologic features can be used to predict outcome and advise patients. Lesions less than 4 cm have a decreased rate of malignancy, and progression to metastasis is rare. Increasing preoperative tumor size is associated with increases in biological aggressiveness, as well as decreased survival rates.

* The presence of tumor necrosis is a strong and independent predictor of poor survival in patients with localized clear cell and chromophobe tumors.

The cancer they took out of me was made of two extremely large chromophobe tumors (24cm total as compared to the 4cm mentioned above) with large areas of necrosis. According to this, that means poor survival on two counts. I guess this helps explain why some of the doctors were so negative (the necrosis was evident on the first CT scan). Oh well, my last scans were six months out and looked good. Here’s to continuing to prove those doctors and these studies wrong.

I would definitely file this under information I did not need to know.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The return of the crackpot... unfortunately the sequel is never as good as the first one, so poor crackpot is in trouble already. Having never met the man himself personally, I do admire his persistance and bravado to get back on the horse after being thrown so badly in the arena of football prognosticating. I was even going to cut him some slack, acknowledging how hard it can be to pick in the fickle, volatile world of March madness and who can rip on someone is this silly endevour.

THEN I came to his picks!!! My sudes still ache as I read through them! Great comedy!! Dave Berry has nothing on you. First, the positive though... crackpot did get it right. It is THE Ohio State University. And the knock on poor Vince Young's Wonderlink score was genius... (unlike your picks. btw... also a good reference back to your last stunning upset perdiction that actually panned out... when was that??? um... let me think, was it 1993 you mentioned??!! Maybe you are due!) But I won't bother picking apart your picks, instead let me just say this... when the Bruin boy here just informed me that you are joining our office pool, a "cha-ching" went off in my mind as I'll now get 5 more easy buck-a-roos than I originally was planning on winning!!!! If you do make it to Cleveland some time, I'll at least by you a round in appreciation to your contribution though!! Until then... thanks for the entertainment* and keep "pouring" over that Guiness... or maybe you've clearly met your limit already! (*You've got it over the el Contrarian hands down a winner for my entertainment perusing!)

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home