Monday, October 10, 2005

Sept 30th - Oct 2nd 20 Year Bender

Flew back to San Jose for the Willow Glen High School class of 1985 20 year reunion. I decided not to hide my condition. I did not want to make it a major theme. Most people are their to check in with other people besides me. But if people asked what was up, I would tell them.

The weekend started on Thursday. I went to pick my brother up at the airport (I had arrived in the morning). We were going to stop to see one of our old friends for "one" beer. This guys is a Navy Seal. I should have known this would not be one beer. The next morning I walked to my parent's house from his house. It was the first time I had ever walked all the way across Willow Glen. I needed the walk to stop things from spinning.

On Friday night there was a get together at a bar. Most of these people were I knew fairly well. When they asked, I told them about my cancer.

Saturday night was the reunion. I maintained a lower profile. I did not want to dump my shit all over the place. That is not what these people where here for. Again, if people asked I would tell them. There was one exception. One classmate had been through cancer 20 years ago and lost a leg. We were not the best of friends. But I knew I wanted to talk to him.

I met up with him later in the night. He said one simple thing over and over. Stay positive. You have to stay positive. Stay positive. He was right. Others had told me the same thing. But this guy had the street cred to back it up. He had been through this before. There are so many unknowns with cancer. This is especially true in my case, being it is so rare. I have the tendency to assume the worst. My prognosis is unknown. It is not good. But it is not terminal yet (it had initially seemed that way). He message was simple. He did not tell me not to worry. He did not tell me what not to do. Stay positive is all he said. He also informed me of another class member who had cancer when we were standing together. I pratically ambushed her later to get her story . I did not know her all that well. But she was a nice person and a former classmate. I also ran into another classmate who had also had cancer. This meeting was a little more forced and I could tell she was uncomfortable talking about it. One of my louder classmates was trying to help me out by introducing us. But she told that it would be OK and gave me a hug. All of the other cancer people I had met had been through different groups relating to cancer. Finding some classmates had to deal with this made me feel less isolated.

At an after hours party I told the person that had planned the party what was up. Hell, I was a little loaded at the point and probably a little too loud. She gave me hug and let me dump my shit on her. I did not know her all that well. But, she spent time listening to me. And, I could tell she cared what happened to me, and she let me know it. Other people also wished me well. Some of them were people I did not know that well. This did a lot for my spirits and I am taking this back to Cleveland with me.

The night ended with me, the planner and another classmate on sidewalk sitting and talking about life. This was another classmate I did not know all that well. And, he had taken a very different path. But, I was interested in hearing his take on things. God knows I am out of answers.

The weekend ended, as all weekends back home should, with a stop at Taco Bravo. I had the usual taco delite delight and bean burrito. God help the rest of the red eye passengers with that volatile mix in my system.

All in all, I was glad I went. Many of my old friends wished me well. In addition, some people that I did not know all that well also wished me well. Besides that, it was a good way to let off some steam. Though I probably should not have to many weekends like that on one kidney.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home