Thursday, July 13, 2006

Losing My Fastball

Went to the Joint Propulsion Conference in Sacramento. It was pretty cool. I got to meet with a lot of colleagues I had not seen since before. I love reconnecting with people from all different parts of my past. Looking back and talking, I could tell that I have not been getting as much done as I used too. I am still somewhat effective. But I feel like a pitcher in the seventh inning who is losing his fastball. I am still able to get outs. But, they are not coming as easy as they used too.

It is time to get it back. It is OK to get by with junk ball pitches. But, sometimes you need to power something through. And, there are sometimes when you just need to knock someone down.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a deep theological thought for you cheeseieman: if God acted as you suggest and corrected every wrong/injustice/whatever that we could ask "why God?" to ("those minivans that slam us"), then there would be no need for heaven, because we would basically have it here on earth. Why, it would even be cruel to let us die if God's so good! He could stop that too.

After the fall of man, this world was not intended to be heaven. Earth is like the middle ground or a testing range before heaven and hell, a struggle of good and evil that determines which way we are going to march into eternity. Even Jesus said "in this world we will have troubles, but to be of good cheer, because I (he) has overcome the world" and "prepared a place for us"... aka heaven! He just said [repeatedly] to "follow me".

In the light of all of our struggles, God did have mercy and grace for us. If you care, read John 1:12 & 3:16, Romans 5:8 and Philippians 2:8-9 for a taste of what I'm saying. He's a lot more merciful than you give him credit, all at His expense that He didn't even have to do. Conversely, where did our benevolent, doddering grandpa-esque God (as we like to picture Him being or should be)ever say I'll make your life here perfect. He does promise to work things for good, but ultimately He works more for our eternal good than earthly good since this life will end, but eternity doesn't. Which basket would you put your eggs in???

Finally, if life with God was such that He does us rightly for everything we do Him rightly in by living a life pleasing to Him, I know I for one would be in a giant hole and getting deeper daily without hope of getting up to level ground ever again. We want, but what do we give in return??!!

I don't know exactly what God will do in this world for you, but I know what He can do in the next one for you!!!

i'm outta here, can I get an "amen"!!???
deacon jones

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home